Are you having a sweet tooth? Can’t put an end to your sugar cravings? Worry not as there are simple and easy ways to reduce sugar cravings. From the young to the old, all have a craving for sugary items that range from cakes to biscuits, desserts to ice creams, etc. Chocolates, in particular, are a hot favorite among everyone irrespective of the age. There is not a single occasion that does not involve chocolate as the main dish! The sugary kick is what we crave for the most and we end up eating more than what we can have.
Why is sugar craving bad?
There are many people who think sugar craving is normal and there is nothing to worry about. On the contrary, it is something to worry about as sugar craving is a type of addiction. If left untreated, it may lead to various health issues that range from decayed tooth to diabetes. Obesity is another major problem that comes as a result of excess intake of sugar and fat. Health issues apart, sugar cravings make us dull and inactive. This makes it difficult for us to perform our everyday functions at ease.
- The blood sugar level increases when you intake high levels of sugary items. From mood swings to fatigues, headaches to mouth ulcers, the problems that come with sugar cravings are more. Sugar craving is one of the prime contributors to false hunger, which makes you have more than what your body actually needs.
- When a person takes a lot of sugary and fatty items, it results in various health issues. Some of the common problems that come with sugar craving include diabetes, heart problems, obesity, etc.
- Research shows that excess intake of sugar can weaken the immune system and pave way for various health problems. Sugar intake promotes the growth of bacteria, which will cause infection and weakening of the immune system.
- Aging is another major problem that is caused by a high intake of sugar. Wrinkles, sagging, dryness, etc. are some of the skin problems caused by sugar intake.
- Tooth decay is one of the major problems caused by sugar cravings. Brushing the teeth twice a day will prevent the growth of bacteria that lead to mouth ulcers and plagues.
- The high intake of sugar causes a lot of heart-related problems that range from high blood pressure to stroke.
How to fight Sugar Cravings – Some Tips to Follow
Avoid processed food
Processed food is one of the major contributors to ill health. Processed foods contain high levels of sugar that create a sense of addiction. It has the effect that cocaine has on a person. When a person eats sugar, the pleasure hormone stimulates the brain to crave more for sugary items. Sugary items should be avoided at all costs to maintain proper health and functioning of the body.
Increase Your Water Intake:
Drinking lot of water will not only subside your hunger but also nourish your body. This is one of the simplest and easiest ways to control your sugar craving. You can also add lime along with salt to control your cravings for sugar.
Follow a healthy diet:
Following a proper diet is mandatory for both mental and physical health. Our everyday diet must include green leafy vegetables, legumes, sprouts, fruits, milk, etc. Beige eating is something that must be avoided at all costs. Instead of following a simple routine, you can make changes to your diet and add different types of fruits and vegetables.
Dark Chocolates is good
Unlike normal chocolates, dark chocolate contains natural sweeteners that do not harm our body. Normal chocolates contain loads of sugar and milk protein that may not be suitable for everyone. Dark chocolates, on the other hand, are one of the best alternatives to sugar cravings.
Yogurts are good for health as they contain nutrients, calcium, potassium and other essential nutrients. You can flavor your yogurt with various fruits such as mangoes, grapes, black currant, etc. and have it as a part of your diet.
Sugar-free gums and sweets:
Nowadays, many stores sell sweets and gums that are sugar-free. This comes as a blessing in disguise for those on a diet as they can have something sweet without increasing their weight.
By following these simple tips, you can put an end to sugar craving and stay hale and healthy!