Searching for medication coupons online and using them at your local pharmacy is a good way to save money, but it isn’t the only way to save money on prescription drug costs.
Buying your prescriptions online can save you quite a bit of money too. Plus, you don’t actually have to go and pick up your prescriptions—they are delivered straight to your door. Not only is that convenient for busy families, it’s actually a godsend for seniors and those with mobility issues who aren’t able to make it to the pharmacy to pick up their meds.
Ordering medication online is a great idea, but not if it’s at the expense of your health. Protect yourself by following these tips when purchasing your medicine on the internet.
Find a Licensed Pharmacy in the United States
It is absolutely essential that you find an online pharmacy that’s licensed in the United States.
Many websites do a good job of looking legitimate when they aren’t. You should check every pharmacy you find online against your state’s board of pharmacy license’s database. This ensures that the medicine you order is the exact same medicine that will show up at your door.
A licensed pharmacy will also:
- Require you to send a valid prescription for the medication
- Have a valid address, telephone number, and email
- Have a licensed pharmacist who can answer your questions in real time
Look for a Secure Site That Will Keep Your Information Private
Not only should you guard your health when ordering medication online, you also have to guard your identity. You will be sharing a lot of personal information with the online pharmacy, so you want to make sure the site is secure.
- Check the site’s privacy and security policies. If they’re lacking, or if you can’t find them easily, look for a different online pharmacy.
- Look for the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS) seal. It means the site was screened and approved by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP).
- Make sure there’s a secure connection. Look for a lock in the web browser that is green and isn’t crossed out.
Purchase All Your Prescriptions From the Same Pharmacy
Whether you choose to pick up your prescriptions in person or you choose to order them online, it’s important that you purchase all of your medication from the same pharmacy.
Drug interactions can be deadly. If you purchase your medications from different pharmacies, the pharmacists won’t know what other medications you’re taking. By ordering from the same pharmacist, they can compare your newest drug to the medicines they have been prescribing you to ensure no deadly interactions take place.
When you order your prescription medication online, you can save a little bit of money and get the medicine you need without having to leave the comfort of your own home. Just make sure you follow these tips so you order from a reputable pharmacy that cares about your health.